TAP initiated Ability Rehabilitation Centre (ARC) for crash victims (Persons with Spinal Cord Injuries (PwSCI) and Other Orthopaedic Disabilities) in collaboration with GREATER VISAKHA MUNICIPAL CORPORATION (GVMC), Government of Andhra Pradesh, Visakhapatnam, India to provide affordable/free services to the poor and needy. This center is the first of its kind with operational objective of the ARC would be to provide the following services:
- Equipped Physio-Occupational Therapy.
- Assistive Device Unit. (Prosthetic & Orthotic and Adaptive Devices)
- Assistive Technology Center for Disabled & Older people.
- Professional Wheelchair Service Provision. (W/C, Tricycles and Supportive seating)
- Providing Developmental Aids & Appliances for Children with Special Needs
- Mobility/Wheelchair Skill Training.
- Wheelchair Sports & Dance.
- Active Rehabilitation for PwDs.
- Peer Counseling for Person with SCI.
- Social Work & Community based Rehabilitation.
- Skill Development & Vocational Training.
- Ten In-patient Bed Facility.
- Niramaya Health Insurance & Legal Guardian for National Trust Beneficiaries.
ARC is the only model spinal rehab center as far as rehabilitation is concerned. Many features in ARC are installed based on the inputs from CMC, Vellore. ARC is a boon for the people in the region as we have equipped it appropriate technology, components, choices, human resources to address the need of people in right manner and in right time.
ARC provides services for active rehabilitation for persons with spinal cord injuries (prime focus) along with other forms of disabling conditions like amputees, post polio residual paralysis (PPRP), muscular dystrophy, children with cerebral palsy, spina bifida, adults with strokes and other neurological disorders and others. The focus is persons with disabilities who are economically challenged and do not have proper access to such facilities. The active rehabilitation services are for those persons affected with spinal cord injuries who have completed their medical management. ARC initiated by TAP has well-established rehabilitation support services now. ARC is strategically located in Vizag city which is well connected and could reach out to either direction.
ARC is the only center provides 10 in-patient unit for PwDS prolonged rehab and assistive device services. Our clinical staffs are qualified professionals certified by ISPO & RCI. We provide quality services and quality life for Persons with mobility disability in our center and reach out to the community for those who cannot afford to visit our center. There are many rehabilitation centres in the region but hardly any providing active rehabilitation and training to persons with spinal cord injuries in the entire region starting from east to south of the country.