TAP initiated Ability Rehabilitation Centre (ARC) for crash victims (Persons with Spinal Cord Injuries (PwSCI) and Other Orthopaedic Disabilities) in collaboration with GREATER VISAKHA MUNICIPAL CORPORATION (GVMC), Government of Andhra Pradesh, Visakhapatnam, India to provide affordable/free services to the poor and needy. This center is the first of its kind with operational objective of the ARC would be to provide the following services:
- Equipped Physio-Occupational Therapy.
- Assistive Device Unit. (Prosthetic & Orthotic and Adaptive Devices)
- Assistive Technology Center for Disabled & Older people.
- Professional Wheelchair Service Provision. (W/C, Tricycles and Supportive seating)
- Providing Developmental Aids & Appliances for Children with Special Needs
- Mobility/Wheelchair Skill Training.
- Wheelchair Sports & Dance.
- Active Rehabilitation for PwDs.
- Peer Counseling for Person with SCI.
- Social Work & Community based Rehabilitation.
- Skill Development & Vocational Training.
- Ten In-patient Bed Facility.
- Niramaya Health Insurance & Legal Guardian for National Trust Beneficiaries.
ARC is the only model spinal rehab center as far as rehabilitation is concerned. Many features in ARC are installed based on the inputs from CMC, Vellore. ARC is a boon for the people in the region as we have equipped it appropriate technology, components, choices, human resources to address the need of people in right manner and in right time.
ARC provides services for active rehabilitation for persons with spinal cord injuries (prime focus) along with other forms of disabling conditions like amputees, post polio residual paralysis (PPRP), muscular dystrophy, children with cerebral palsy, spina bifida, adults with strokes and other neurological disorders and others. The focus is persons with disabilities who are economically challenged and do not have proper access to such facilities. The active rehabilitation services are for those persons affected with spinal cord injuries who have completed their medical management. ARC initiated by TAP has well-established rehabilitation support services now. ARC is strategically located in Vizag city which is well connected and could reach out to either direction.
ARC is the only center provides 10 in-patient unit for PwDS prolonged rehab and assistive device services. Our clinical staffs are qualified professionals certified by ISPO & RCI. We provide quality services and quality life for Persons with mobility disability in our center and reach out to the community for those who cannot afford to visit our center. There are many rehabilitation centres in the region but hardly any providing active rehabilitation and training to persons with spinal cord injuries in the entire region starting from east to south of the country.
I hereby take this opportunity to bring to your notice on my appeal in our last RSC meetings for kind consideration for the following concerned plea and the same has been approved in the minutes (enclosed minutes of SRSC meeting):
- Exemption of Toll Tax: Requested for notifying to all toll barriers contractors for exemption of toll tax for all the physically Disabled persons having disability greater than 40% and all vehicles carrying a physical disabled person/persons. (MORTH order enclosed). (clause no. 18.1)
- Issuing notification of guidelines: Request for directing to respect and protect the rights of Good Samaritans (under Good Samaritan Act Govt. of India). (clause no. 15)
- World Day of Remembrance: Request for Organising state level World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims on Sunday, 17thNov 2019 in all the 13 districts
- LEVEL 1 TRAUMA CARE: We bring to your notice, we do not have a Level 1 Trauma Care Centre in the entire Andhra Pradesh. Request for establishing Level I trauma care centre in VIMS, Visakhapatnam as an ideal place and adjacent to National Highway. There will be also a provision for RAPID/SHIFT transport reaching within the “Golden Hour”. At present the road traffic victims are shifted to KGH which is 10 KMS away from highway. Emergency care has been delayed due to heavy traffic and 30 minutes extra time taken for the ambulance to reach KGH for emergency care. (clause no. 18.2)
- STATE SPINAL CENTRE: According to K. Satyavaraprasad, Director, Visakha Institute of Medical Sciences (VIMS), Professor & HOD of Neurosurgery, Andhra Medical College/KGH Visakha allotted for State Spinal Centre (SSC) in KGH, requested to shift SSC to VIMS, as it is situated adjacent to National High Way and there is no place in KGH and also it is overcrowded. (clause no. 18.2)
We are happy to inform you The Ability People has successfully coordinated to issued instructions through memorandum from the DGP’s office to all the CsP/SsP, to all subordinate officers of their respective jurisdiction on the Police Dept.- Road Safety- Safe passage for an ambulance while planning route for WIP /Rally /Road Show/ Religious procession, gather road accident victims and organize awareness programmes. (enclosed memorandum). Firstly, Thanks to Sri Goutam Sawang, IPS, D.G.P (HoPF), AP Police Headquarters for his support & understanding on our request & his office instructions issued is greatly appreciate. (enclosed copy)